Thursday, January 29, 2009

Maths



Maths is without question the purest discipline worthy of study, and throughout my school days it was my best subject. I almost carried on with maths at university instead of doing medicine, but what finally made the decision for me was that maths may be fascinating, but at the higher levels of post-graduate maths, it is fundamentally almost certainly pointless. Being a surgeon is probably more useful to humanity.

I've always read about maths, and done loads of maths based puzzles, and I always said that one day I'd do an Open University degree in maths. Well I started it in October, and have almost finished my first degree level maths course, and am soon to start the second. If all goes to plan I'll graduate in 2014.

So far the course has been fairly easy for me, as I covered most of the material at A level about 20 years ago. I've got scores of 100, 100, 98 and 97 so far - in the latter 2 papers I'm sure the tutor was looking for somewhere to dock me marks. Hopefully the next level course will be a bit more challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Free Blog Counter